A man who lost six of his family to the Grenfell Tower fire said he wanted the structure to stay in place until the families of the victims had a say in his future.
Ministers are said to be set to announce the demolition of the tower due to security concerns, including at a nearby high school.
But the Department of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) said earlier that a decision had yet to be made and that nothing would be implemented until the fifth anniversary of the disaster in June of the next year.
Nabil Choucair told Sky News on Wednesday: “It’s a reminder of our loved ones, we don’t want them to disappear that fast.
“We would like it to stay in place until something is agreed upon for the Memorial Commission where everyone is participating and what they would like to put in place.”
Mr Choucair added that he would personally like to see a museum of the disaster on the site so that the drama is not forgotten.
Mr Choucair lost his mother, Sirria, 60, his sister Nadia, 30, and her husband Bassem Choukair, 40, as well as nieces Mierna, 13, Fatima, 11 and Zainab, three, in the fire in 2017 that killed 72 people.
The rapid spread of the fire was aggravated by the combustible coating on the exterior of the building.
An investigation continues into the disaster and Mr Choucair has set up a petition to try to convince the investigation to determine whether institutional racism contributed to the disaster.
This website is powered by the generosity of readers like you.
Please donate what you can afford to help us keep our communities informed.
BECOME A SUPPORT
In these difficult times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.