Home Inverness colorado loans Much improved cans beaten late

Much improved cans beaten late

Martin Groat, pictured against Turriff United, was voted man of the match for his relentless performance in midfield. Photo: Becky Saunderson

A LOT that was missing as Forres Mechanics returned on Saturday – with great bravery and fighting spirit in a gruesome 1-0 loss to Brechin City at Mosset Park.

The only thing wrong was a touch of luck as the Cans suffered a second consecutive defeat at the last minute thanks to a lucky 92nd-minute winner from former Inverness defender Caley Thistle, Kevin McHattie.

As time ticked away and Steven Macdonald was on his way to a hard-fought point in his first game in charge, Brechin was awarded a free kick and McHattie’s hooking effort found its way through the bar.

Assistant coach Brian Macleod said the performance was “great” and the manner of defeat was very hard to take.

“We are really disappointed with the result but certainly not with the effort and application of the boys, who were excellent,” he said.

“We’re really disappointed to lose it at the end. It’s the second game we’ve lost at the end, so it’s another one that’s hard to take.

“In my eyes it was a bad decision to give the free kick – it was not a foul and for the referee to give it against us, at this stage of the game and in this position, it was a bad decision. decision.

“Then the boy just hit it and it fell into the net, so that’s disappointing.”

Forres was forced into an early substitution after a nasty moment for midfielder Jack Grant in the 20th minute as an elbow from Brechin knocked out his front teeth. He was replaced by Owen Paterson.

The first major chance for either side came after 25 minutes when Brechin’s Michael Cruickshank fired a Murray MacKintosh cross over the top from six yards out.

Dale Wood, playing at left-back, had to be vigilant on the half-hour mark to clear a MacKintosh header from the line.

New signing Kane Davies hit Forres’ first shot on target just before the break, but his 20-yard effort was easily held back by Jack Willis.

Five minutes after halftime, Mechanics headed a yard away as Paul Brindle’s first hit flew just wide of the far post.

Paul Brindle's effort flew over the far post.  Photo: George Rutherford
Paul Brindle’s effort flew over the far post. Photo: George Rutherford

Brechin defender Hamish Thomson headed in a free kick just after the hour mark as the visitors turned up the heat.

It was the Mechanics who should have taken the lead in the 67th minute, when the ball passed to Lee Fraser in the box, but he couldn’t get the ball around Willis from eight yards out.

Brechin threw everything they had on Forres’ bench – including Julian Wade, the Dominican Republic’s all-time top scorer, and experienced SPFL striker David Cox.

But Mechanics continued to hold their ground, Lee Herbert somehow preventing Cox’s close drive towards goal with five remaining.

The on-loan keeper then made a superb save from a Jamie Bain free-kick with just seconds of the 90 minutes remaining and it looked like Forres would hold his own.

But, two minutes into stoppage time, a free-kick lobbed into the box was hooked on goal by former Hearts and Inverness defender Kevin McHattie and found its way past a helpless, off-the-bar Herbert .

Lee Fraser was sent off in a post-match altercation as tempers flared, meaning he will miss Saturday’s trip to Keith.

“It was a step in the right direction, but we have to start scoring points,” added Macleod.

“Performance-wise, the boys should gain confidence in the game.

“Hopefully next week, if we play like this and take one or two chances that come our way, we’ll be fine.”

Do you want to react to this article ? If yes, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.