June 06, 2022
Army Base Housing Energy Retrofit Project Improves Resident Experience, Reduces Carbon Emissions and Generates Energy Savings to Fund Future Improvements
Balfour Beatty Communities, a national residential real estate investment and management company, and ENGIE Services US, a subsidiary of ENGIE North America and a leading provider of low-carbon energy and services, recently completed over $12 million in energy efficiency upgrades to over 1,000 homes in Fort Eustis and Fort Story, Virginia.
The project, which has leveraged private capital, brings modernized fixtures and systems to homes, reducing energy consumption and streamlining related maintenance services while continuing to improve the living experience of military families; another example of the benefits realized through the Military Housing Privatization Initiative.
Mark Lavin, Executive Vice President of Balfour Beatty Communities, said, “We are proud to have completed this project, which improves critical systems in military family homes at Fort Eustis and Fort Story.
“Our work with ENGIE makes these military housing communities more resilient and generates utility savings that will be used to further improve these homes as part of our long-term reinvestment effort.”
The project delivered turnkey energy and water efficiency improvements through a self-funded energy savings performance contract, including:
- 77,000 energy efficient lighting and fixture upgrades
- 475 high efficiency heat pump systems
- 995 smart home thermostats
- 1,500 bathroom hygrostats
- Water conservation fixtures, including 4,500 faucet aerators in bathrooms and kitchens, 2,700 low-flow toilets and 1,800 showerheads
- More than 900 homes received building envelope waterproofing updates, including energy-efficient drain plugs, among other improvements
New HVAC systems reduce the carbon footprint of Balfour Beatty housing facilities while making homes more comfortable to live in, reducing mechanical breakdowns and standardizing equipment across the portfolio to reduce operating costs and of maintenance. These improvements are expected to reduce residential consumption by approximately 3,286,588 kWh/year of electricity, 857 CCF/year of natural gas and 21,284,200 gal/year of water.
Brad Boerger, Vice President of Business Development at ENGIE, said: “This project helps improve the living conditions of our military families while supporting President Biden’s executive order to address the climate crisis in the country and to the stranger. Simultaneously, we were able to support the Army’s climate strategy by reducing greenhouse gas emissions at Fort Eustis and Fort Story by more than 2,000 metric tons.
Working with the U.S. military, Balfour Beatty builds sustainability and resilience with projects that enhance its military housing communities. The ESPC initiative also supports the Department of Defense’s goal of providing 100 percent of the energy load required by every U.S. military installation by 2030 through investments in sustainability initiatives such as energy-efficient housing and power generation. ‘renewable energy.
Balfour Beatty and ENGIE continue to expand the ESPC initiative with several new projects in Balfour Beatty Communities’ military housing portfolio at various stages of assessment, approval and implementation.
Media inquiries to:
All non-media related inquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or [email protected]
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty is a leading international infrastructure group with 24,500 employees who drive the delivery of powerful new solutions, shape thinking, create horizons and inspire a new generation of talent to be the changemakers of tomorrow.
- We finance, develop, build, maintain and operate the increasingly complex and critical infrastructure that supports national economies and delivers projects at the heart of local communities.
- Over the past 113 years, we’ve created iconic buildings and infrastructure around the world, including: the £1.5 billion A14 Improvement Program – Britain’s largest road project; the world-class HK$5.5 billion Hong Kong Harbor Theater Project for the West Kowloon Cultural District Authority; and the $429 million 12.5-mile North Metro Commuter Rail line in Colorado, USA.
About Balfour Beatty Communities:
- Balfour Beatty Communities is an active owner and operator of residential real estate in the multifamily, student and military housing sectors across the United States. Since its inception in 1999, Balfour Beatty Communities has invested in nearly 100 properties representing over $7.9 billion in gross asset value. Our extensive in-house expertise includes decades of property/facility acquisition, development, financing, renovation, leasing and management experience. Leveraging this extensive expertise and a customer service-focused approach, Balfour Beatty Communities seeks to create value in its real estate projects while providing exceptional living experiences. For more information, visit www.balfourbeattycommunities.com.
- Balfour Beatty Communities is a subsidiary of Balfour Beatty Investments, Inc. and Balfour Beatty plc, a leading international infrastructure group.
About ENGIE North America:
- Based in Houston, Texas, ENGIE North America Inc. is a regional hub of ENGIE, a global leader in low-carbon energy and services. ENGIE (ENGI), is listed on the Paris and Brussels stock exchanges. Together with our 170,000 employees worldwide, our customers, partners and stakeholders, we are committed to accelerating the transition to a carbon neutral world, through reduced energy consumption and more environmentally friendly solutions. Inspired by our purpose, we reconcile economic performance and positive impact on people and the planet, relying on our key businesses (gas, renewable energies, services) to offer competitive solutions to our customers. In North America, ENGIE helps customers achieve their energy efficiency, reliability and ultimately sustainability goals as we work together to shape a sustainable future. We achieve this through: energy efficiency projects, energy supply (including renewable energy and natural gas) and the development, construction and operation of renewable energy assets (wind, solar , storage, etc).